Dispute Resolution Policies and Procedures
Sask Sport membership conditions require Active and Affiliate Members to have Dispute Resolution and Harassment and Abuse policies and procedures. The purpose of this membership condition was to place our members in a position to manage or mitigate discipline concerns, complaints, dispute resolution or appeals using recognized fair and due process. To support this requirement, Dispute Resolution and Harassment and Abuse policy templates and procedures had been developed by Sask Sport to assist our members.
Since implementing these mandatory Dispute Resolution policies and processes a few years ago, there has been increased knowledge and more efficient practices developed. Interest was expressed in having Sask Sport investigate updating these polices and processes to reflect current best practices to guide them when such situations arise. Sask Sport worked alongside Sport Law & Strategy Group out of Toronto to develop and recommend updated, comprehensive, user-friendly policies and procedures.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
The Dispute Resolution policy suite now consists of the following mandatory policy and procedure components:
- Discipline and Complaints Policy and Flowchart (word or PDF);
- Appeal Policy and Flowchart (word or PDF);
- Alternative Dispute Resolution (Mediation) Policy (word or PDF);
- Code of Conduct Policy (word or PDF) - to replace the former Harassment and Abuse Policy, as well as being inclusive and encompassing of all types of behaviors under one policy, and to be in effect for the Board of Directors, committees, other volunteers, coaches, managers, officials, parents and spectators; and
- Conflict of Interest Policy (word or PDF) - as this is a key area where dispute situations often arise.
- Dispute Resolution Policies and Procedures Checklist
The Dispute Resolution Complaints and Appeals Supplement (word or PDF) provides relevant information when entering into a formal dispute process. This supplement compliments the processes recommended through the "Discipline and Complaints Policy" and "Appeals Policy" templates and associated flowcharts provided.
It is a requirement for all Active and Affiliate members to have the new Dispute Resolution policy suite approved within their organization by no later than June 1, 2016.